Precast concrete - Polyvoûte
A Polyvoûte is a precast engineering structure. Through its innovative design and modern features, it reduces project execution times and costs.
The Polyvoûte’s versatility lends itself for use as a conduit for water under fill (bridge) or for building access passages (bicycle paths, pedestrian walkways, etc.). The Polyvoûte can also be adapted to a variety of industrial needs while conforming to required clearances.
Polyvoûte has many advantages:
- reduced construction times and costs;
- assured quality resulting from factory production in ideal conditions;
- maintenance-free structure with great durability;
- highly versatile, attractive and environmentally sound;
- variable sections adapted to the client’s needs;
- makes it possible to conserve the natural bed of a waterway;
- better integration with the surroundings.
Quick and easy installation is a major advantage of the Polyvoûte. No scaffolding or falsework is needed.
The assembly method for the components makes it possible to keep roads open to traffic through the worksite. Polyvoûte placement must be carried out according to specifications and installation plans.
1 - Preparation of the subbase
Preparation of the subbase is an important installation step. The proper execution of this step makes it easier to install the precast concrete foundations and helps limit differential settlement. The subbase can be made of granular material or binding concrete.
2 - Placement of the concrete foundation: footings, pedestal footings, bottom slab
Concrete foundations can be precast or built on site.
3 - Erection of the vault sections
Each vault section is placed one after the other on the bottom slab or the footings. Adequate lifting equipment is required for easy placement and reduced installation costs.
4 - Watertightness
The watertightness system varies according to the application, the level of the water table, the service and environmental conditions and the specifications of the project manager.
Three watertightness systems are offered:
1. watertightness of the joints only;
2. watertightness of the joints and application of a bituminous coating;
3. watertightness of the entire exterior surface of the vault.
Béton Provincial can use its expertise to recommend a watertightness system adapted to the needs of your project.
5 - Backfill
The Polyvoûte is designed to support a specific backfill load. The backfill must be distributed uniformly and simultaneously on both sides of the structure.